A Short History of Kilbarchan West Church

The large red sandstone building we all know as the West Church was completed in 1901 and replaced an earlier church, built in 1724, as the Parish Church, with the older building being used as the church hall. 

The ruins of an earlier 15th century church, St Katherine's, is located within the church grounds, as is the grave of Robert 'Habbie' Simpson, the famous 16th century piper from whom the natives of the village take the honourary title of 'Habbies'.

The Parish Church became Kilbarchan: West Parish in 1929 when their neighbours rejoined the established church and became Kilbarchan East thus giving Kilbarchan two Church of Scotland congregations.